View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 05:20 AM   #11
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spellbot 5000 View Post
There'll be a tenth version?!? Wow, what a visionary!

Hey guys, insider tip here: Most models of cars out this year will have a new model next year! Keep this one quiet folks. Also, I have it on good authority that computers will get faster as time goes on.
I think you've missed the point. His is more of a commitment than a prediction. I would suggest that Jeff is saying there will be a Kindle Version 10 because the product line is here to stay. Ebook devices could be said to have had a slow, possibly even stop/start beginning, and I would suggest that Jeff is saying that his is not a product line that will be dropped or pushed aside; that the Kindle (and, I would say, ebook devices in general) is now here permanently in a more "mainstream" form.

Predictions of new model cars and increasing computer speed are mostly not analogous. Statements of commitments to a model range by a manufacturer, or commitments to increasing the speed of computer chips by chip-manufactuers, are.

The worth of all these statements, prediction or commitment, may arguably be the small part from which any analogy can be drawn.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 05-29-2008 at 05:48 AM.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote