View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Yes, it's been a terrific bonding experience. We've long watched "our show" (we pick a TV show that we both like) to watch together and talk about as we watch. The first one was "Joan of Arcadia" -- we had a lot of good discussions watching that series.

I didn't originally plan for this to be a read along, but the book was just too difficult for her to read on her own. One of my goals is to open her mind to how great history can be. She has a good mind for such things but "I hate history" she says.

Well, as predicted, she is actually enjoying the book and our reading it together. We have wonderful talks and it's fun to watch her mind at work. In one scene Adams goes to Phil. and has dinner with Generals Washington and Gates who had been officers in the British Army during the French and Indian war.

I asked her "what did the French and Indian War have to do with our American Revolution?". She answered "taxes". I was THRILLED. It showed she really had been paying attention and putting things together.

Lee
That's fun to read about. Experiences like that will change her opinion of history and help her critical thinking skills. Another book I think any teen/parent should be exposed to is Thomas Friedman's The World is Flat. It's sort of modern history about the increase of globalization and what that means for our upcoming generation as they choose careers and enter the perpetually changing economy. It really opened my eyes. Give it a look: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000U913GG
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote