View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 11:39 PM   #67
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I missed this earlier. I love the little bit of history. My mum is 71 in 2 weeks. She has a laptop and a smart phone. She is considering moving from the laptop to a tablet, becaus oh my all her friends are. This elder pressure

Now my younger sister drives us nuts. We can not get her to change to a smart phone, and my precious kindle I gave her has sat unused in a draw. Even tho I loaded it with books she wants to read. I finally put my foot down last week and said I would not burn movies or tv to dvd for her, she had to learn how to use a thumb drive. I am on my way up there tonight to teach her how to stick it in a computer and media player.

applesauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I think the attached image from Teleread sums it up in a lot of ways.

People are generally resistant to any form of change. Change forces people out of comfort zones and that familiarity of using or doing something the same way they have done all their lives.

My parents (both in their 70's) both have iPad's and my Father commented to me that Mum loves it. Email, games, Facebook and Facebook messages, reading magazines. All good and something she has dove into with great courage ignoring that resistance to change. Dad is no different and the phone calls I used to get when they had a PC have diminished significantly. Now Mum is talking "Kindle".

I cannot read on a tablet myself as my eyes do not like backlit LCD screens for the time required to get into an ebook. So I do hope that a single purpose device like an e-ink ereader remains purchasable. I am sure it will as single use devices are masters of what they do and provide no distractions like email, message alerts and an icon with a disgruntled bird on it.
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote