View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 02:38 AM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I agree that one of the Scansnap series is a good way to go. I have one in the 400s and it does an excellent job. One caveat - it is not TWAIN compliant which may be a drawback for other general uses. I got mine strictly for book scanning, which brings us to another drawback - the book must be first separated into pages to use it. I purchased a professional grade manual paper cutter for this purpose. Good price on ebay for the cutter. A final note - cheaper paper back books do not have the same high quality of print as better hard back books. This shows up in the OCR process.
I've been considering getting a duplex sheet-fed scanner to digitize some of my manga/comics so I can put them in storage or something. My mom's been complaining about the amount of books and DVDs I have and I don't think she even knows about the ones hidden underneath the couch and the bed.

I was going for the S300 for its size but your post has given me pause. I doubt I'll be needing any of the OCR functions, but I need it to scan images in at least 300dpi to JPEG format. How well suited is the Fujitsu Scansnap and accompanying software for this type of application? At my old job, IrfanView + Xerox Documate worked pretty well for our office's batch scanning needs (don't think it's duplex, though). My problem is I don't have the space for a big scanner, otherwise, I'd have gone with the less destructive OptiBook. The Scanscap S300 looks like it might fit my needs, but the lack of TWAIN support means I'm going to be reliant on Fujitsu software. So, you guys think this might be a good choice?

Another question, what's the difference between the S300 and the S300 Deluxe Bundle? From what I've noticed, the bundle seems to have additional software that I likely won't need. Is that the only thing that's different?

Thanks!
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote