View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #641
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3
@tigran
Quote:
Yes, you are right --- I just found out that on FC17 64bit one cannot run arm x-tools because of /lib/ld-linux.so.2 ELF interpreter issues. So, using VirtualBox saved me a lot of time and trouble attempting to switch to the latest 64bit OS --- now I know that I should stay with my old good FC12 32bit
Or, if it's only kindle developement tools, there's no reason not to use 32bit FC17 (or 12) in a VirtualBox of 64bit FC17.

Quote:
But I like the VirtualBox idea... Is it portable? I.e. can I take my vdi files and use them on some other system using any OS (obviously installing VirtualBox software for that OS first)? Or is each vdi image bound to a specific host OS on which it was produced?
I can't be 100% sure, since I never tried that, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be. What I did try is exporting to .ova on Windows and importing that .ova in Linux without problems. Files are much smaller that way .

Now, back to kindle. I tried using x-tools and it failed. This is what I did:

Code:
$ tar xzvf x-tools-glibc2.5-gcc4.2.4.tar.gz
this made x-tools-glib2.5 dir, with arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi inside it. I did this next:

Code:
$ cd x-tools-glib2.5

$ mv arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi arm

$ sudo mv arm /usr/local/
then I edited my .profile file, and added this as the last line:

PATH="/usr/local/arm/arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi/bin:$PATH"

and then relogged. I checked if it's all ok:

Code:
$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/arm/arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi/bin:/usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
Then I deleted kindlepdfviewer dir, and did git clone again, and than make fetchthirdparty (just to be sure).

then I did

Code:
$ HOST=arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi make thirdparty
and the result is

Code:
make -C mupdf CC="gcc" build/debug/cmapdump
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/kai771/kindlepdfviewer/mupdf'
    MKDIR build/debug
    CC build/debug/cmapdump.o
gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [build/debug/cmapdump.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kai771/kindlepdfviewer/mupdf'