View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #209
kkasmire
kkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch
Confirmed that Kindle Touch does NOT allow SSH login. According to yifanlu, the SSH binary is not onboard.

The following steps were taken (I was using a fresh laptop):

Code:
Install Windows Mobile Device Center Driver 6.1
Install puTTY
Adjust TCP/IP of laptop to 192.168.15.1
Connect Kindle USB cable
Create empty file ENABLE_DIAGS on Kindle
Disconnect Kindle USB cable
Reboot Kindle (menu > settings > menu > reset)
Diagnostics Mode
Select Enable USBnet
Connect Kindle USB cable
puTTY to 192.168.15.244
Successful port connection, but no SSH
I notice in the Diagnostics in the exit menu, there is an option to exit to console. Is it possible to exit to console and install SSH server, right there on the device from the console?

NOTE: Exiting Diagnostics Mode is tricky. In the exit menu, there is an option to Disable Diagnostics. It doesn't work. Neither does deleting ENABLE_DIAGS. After several reboots attempting to shake out of Diagnostics Mode, I finally discovered Device Settings has to be clicked at least once before Disable Diagnostics works. Before I found this workaround, the Disable Diagnostics gave me the following error:
Code:
device_info.xml not found
I guess that selecting the Device Settings menu creates the required XML file for the Disable Diagnostics to shutdown properly.

Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited by kkasmire; 12-08-2011 at 10:03 AM.
kkasmire is offline   Reply With Quote