View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
I will never forget hearing him being interviewed on Woman's Hour many years ago and describing a visit he made to a windmill (or something similar) situated on the top of a cliff.

I'm not sure if there's a recording of it available anywhere (if so, please do listen to it!), but it should go down in history as one of the BBC's great broadcasting moments. The interviewer - and, I'm sure, everyone listening - was spellbound by the tale.

Spoiler:

Herbert spent a long time (by radio standards) describing a trip on which he saw this windmill and felt drawn to it. It was abandoned, had a mysterious air about it, etc (build up your own James Herbert atmosphere at this point). When Herbert reached the building he felt compelled to enter it (build up more atmosphere, darkness, etc). He then felt drawn to the upper floor, where there was nothing, except for something drawing him out on to a balcony overhung the cliff.

When he was on the balcony, he began to feel something physically grabbing hold of him, clutching at his foot, trying to drag him off the balcony and down the drop below. Herbert realised it was some kind of supernatural force.

"And it was pulling my leg - just like I'm pulling yours."

The interviewer was speechless - I just wish I could have aeen her face.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote