View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
as far as i can see, actually no one has answered your question.

A reference to a footnote can look like this:
<p class="does not matter"><a href="#footnote1" id="position1">Some visible text</a></p>

The footnote with a backward reference like this
<p class="footnoteclass"><a href="#position1" id="footnote1">Some visible text</a>more footnote text</p>

This works fine for me (well, at xhtml/epub, i dont know what kindel does with this)
The OP will be using the epub to create a mobi, so to avoid a known issue with Kindlegen, the anchors need to occur before the element the intended target is in. Otherwise, the styling can be rendered incorrectly when following the link. That's the reason for the OP's intiial modifications in the first post.

To make sure the same issue doesn't happen with footnotes, the same hoops would still need jumped through...

The link in the main body of the text:
Code:
<a id="position1" /><p class="does not matter">Some text that might<a href="#footnote1">[1]</a> need some clarification.</p>
The foot/end note with a back link (if you feel you must):
Code:
<a id="footnote1" /><p class="footnoteclass"><a href="#position1">[1]</a> Some clarifying text.</p>
(Note that there is no overlapping of <a> and <p> tags)

What "works" in making an epub is not usually the same as what "works" in making an epub that's going to be converted using Kindlegen.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote