View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Nook Classic Wifi vs Sony 650 vs Sony 350

(sia for the long post)

I've had a nook for a little while now and love it, but it is missing a few features I want. I was hoping for a nook 2 soon, but for now that is looking out of the question. I definitely want an e-ink screen, so the new nook colour is not for me. I'd love a colour e-ink screen (mirasol sounds great and I was hoping for a mirasol nook 2) but apparently that's also not in the cards anywhere right now.

So, with all that said, I'm considering my options. Holiday deals are coming up soon and I want to decide before Black Friday, if there are any good Sony deals coming up. I have completely ruled out the Kindle and Kobo, so please no pitches for either of those. I would consider a lesser-known device if it has more of what I want than the nook or a Sony.

Here is my want list if I am to switch my nook for something else:

-touch screen
-ability to take handwritten notes (I yearn for this)
-page-swiping ability (a must after getting used to the nook)
-e-ink (preferably colour but I realise that's not possible right now)
-lightweight (the nook is slightly heavy to me)
-wifi
-landscape mode (not one page, but page by page like a book...is this possible?)

I hate gadget clutter, so I won't be keeping two e-readers. If I get another I will sell my nook. I already know the cons of the nook (the cons to me anyway): slightly heavy, no way to take handwritten notes, hard to highlight and take typed notes and I really don't like how they completely separate content between content bought at B&N and other content (and don't allow pretty colour cover pics on non-B&N content).

The pros to the nook in my opinion that Sony seems to be missing are as follows: excellent customer service, the in-store experience which I take advantage of and being able to be helped by real live knowledgable people, an integrated and thorough help, online and buying experience that makes me feel well-taken care of and sort of like part of a "family", the colour touch screen and cover flow (seeing books by colour cover), good firmware updates often and, importantly, wifi.

So I can't decide! I would love to just stick with my nook, but I am yearning for the ability to take handwritten notes. I originally, six months ago, was eventually deciding between the nook and bebook neo, and went with the nook because it was cheaper and I was worried about the neo's American support. Now, neo seems out of the picture as it's still expensive but doesn't seem as good as the Sony. And now Sony is back in the picture with its new models that have the Pearl screens and the touchscreen without glare.

But Sony doesn't have wifi! What the heck? If it had that I'd probably have already decided. I DO use my wifi a lot on my nook, to download books and to preview chapters of books before I buy, so I really like that feature. I don't mind paying $230 for the Sony, but paying that for the Sony without wifi? That really makes me pause. That's a reason I may consider the 350 over the 650, as it's cheaper.

I really want to able to read in landscape, like in a real book, with two pages side by side. I'm not even sure if this is available on the Sonys. But I have heard that the landscape single-page view puts the bottom of one page on the top of the next so when you turn pages you've already read what's at top. That sounds annoying.

As for the two different sizes of the Sony, I can't decide either. I'd like lighter, so that would mean smaller. But I do like the screen size of the nook and think a 5" may be too small....but I can and do read small font to get more words on the page so maybe a 5" will be fine and even better? But I must say, I like the look of the black 650 better than the silver 350.

I'll admit, I don't like the look of Sony. I much prefer the "look" of the nook. The nook looks sleek while the Sony looks kind of...gadgety and old-school. But what Sony does have (touchscreen, handwritten notes, lightweight, landscape mode) may outweigh what I don't like about it (no wifi, the look, no in-store and customer service integration like with nook), and if I'm going to get it, I'm looking to do so if and when it goes on sale for the holidays (especially I'm hoping Black Friday), so soon. So please help with your opinions on which e-reader you think would be better suited for me, and any reviews/advice on the Sonys since I haven't tried them (other than the demos in Best Buy). Thanks!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote