View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I'll go first. I downloaded loads and loads of book, and started reading at once.

Only just now I finished "The End of Science Fiction" by Sam Smith (Bewrite!).
And it was great.

I had a little trouble getting into it at first, because of the writing style. The sentences were abrupt and short, subjects and articles missing. I pressed on, because the premise really interested me a lot.

One week until the end of the universe. No heroics, nothing that can be done. How do people cope with the sudden absence of any future?

A detective inspector tries to solve his last case in a collapsing world, even if it won't matter to anyone. The dialogs (more like monologues really) he has with the people he meets during his investigation are just brilliant.

And if the power of fiction is to place the reader in situations he may never live in real life, and understand some more things about himself and the world through this process, well, this book did it for me.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote