View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Paste the text file into a word document. Save it.
Open Find and Replace (In the “Edit” menu). You need to make three passes with it.
1. Find ^p^p (i.e. find two paragraph marks. The symbols are in More then Special. The paragraph mark is at the top of the list.). Replace with @ (These act as placeholders to preserve the real paragraphs.)
2. Now, for the second pass, find ^p (single paragraph mark). Replace with a single space.
3. Finally, for the third pass, find @ and replace with either a single paragraph mark, or two paragraph marks if you prefer an empty line between paragraphs.
On a Mac you can just copy paragraphs and line breaks and paste them into the search and replace window.

To the OP: I would suggest using Pages for this - the search and replace seems to be more stable and a little easier to use than in Word. I've done this a lot recently with some books I've re-formatted, and whenever I start working in Word I often find myself shifting to Pages.

When finished, you can export from Pages to RTF - though I would suggest copying and pasting the whole thing into a new RTF document (TextEdit). It gives a 'cleaner' file. The RTF file can be converted in Calibre to for example ePUB if you don't like how RTF looks on the Reader.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote