View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 04:10 AM   #56
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseKR View Post
Recommend me a sci-fi novel. I'm open to any author. I really like post-apocalyptic books too.
I know this one is way out of left field but good old L. Ron Hubbard was a fair to very good SciFi author...and since you enjoy post-apocalyptic works, the actual novel Battlefield Earth is an entertaining read. but please don't judge it by that abomination of a movie adaptation. The novel provides all the basis for the situation and is actually a very long read. I don't often recommend it for the obvious reasons. Still he had some very solid novels and felt this was one of them...I even enjoyed the somewhat juvenile Mission Earth series as well. But only like the first 6-8 of them...after that I had enough because it felt as if he was just writing to find a TV deal for a series.

I also will second the suggestion of Spin. I was nicely surprised by it's originality and presentation of where we humans could stand in the universe...

I am unsure how to categorize the two novels by John Twelve Hawks, but The Traveler and the sequel The Dark River are fun reads as well. But I am not sure of I would read the rumored 3rd in a trilogy. For me the 2nd novel pretty much went as far as I care to follow.

My most recent read was Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton. Not linear read at all, so it can take a couple reads to get it all, but it's a creative bit of fiction. Other than the Sam Gunn omnibus collections by Ben Bova and all but one of Spider Robinson's Callahan series (and a couple other works as well), I enjoyed Pandora's Star quite a lot.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote