View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
As I said in my opening post - it does some harm. When you use file synchronization or version-control your library, every author name or book title change turns unexpectedly costly (in terms of network traffic or disk storage)
Ahh I do not use dropbox as my library is large, so I am unaware of the implications.
I am not sure how changing the file structure would affect or improve this though.

If I change an author name globally from within calibre I simply get a new name on the directory. If I cahnge it on an individual book for authors with more than one book, I ge a new directory and author listing.

AFAIK there is no way to know without human intervention which authors/books are identical if you spell the names differently.

The dependancy on metadata for folder naming is restricted to author and title and the dependency of the title being associated with the author.

If for example, I have an author listed as Francis Paul Wilson and F. Paul Wilson whom I know are the same (human intervention ) How would them being listed in the folder structure as 8079 and 11136 and then being consolidated to 11136 make a difference from them being consolidated to F. Paul Wilson?

I am seriously interested in what using only numbers instead of author names would accomplish in database terms (or any other terms).

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote