View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #141
ichrispa
Enthusiast
ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
My feelings ate that this might be related to how you have hacked the Kobo to get command line access... How come those of us who have not taken that step do not have this issue...
I frankly do not see the relation between the problem and the hack. Besides, the tests I described where done on an unhacked version (Hard Reset + FW 2.4.0 update).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan
Are you using Linux as SO? I think so after your last message (I was doubtful before). So, is the problem really in Kobo FW or its interaction with Linux? I've never had this problem, and my Mini and my Glo interact a lot with calibre.
Yes I am using Linux (for about 16 years now). Giving Linux the blame for this is a bit far fetched in my opinion, as everything performs as expected.

I have established that it is nickel (GUI on the Kobo) that does not behave properly. But I will try using Windows with calibre just to check the effect in the coming week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor
What I see is that if I connect my Glo or Touch to my Windows machine and fiddle with the database on the device, the changes are shown as soon as I disconnect.
Thank you again for the work you are putting into this Davidfor. What you describe is definetely not what I am seeing. Even if I perform manual changes on the sqlite database and don't use calibre at all, the changes do not show up until the device is rebooted - and manual changes corrupt my database as well at times.

Your test is interesting in that I would love my KT to behave that way too... The most reliable way to kill my database is to connect, upload multiple ebooks and disconnect. After that, the database is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor
I don't doubt you are seeing what you report. But, it disagrees with my experience and the experiences reported here. But, I also don't know how many of them are using Linux.
I am glad I am the only one with this problem. Again, I do not see how Linux would affect this. The FS is mounted and unmounted properly and the VFAT module certainly stable. Even the output from the ahci driver does not suggest anything funny going on.

Besides, as I said, I confirmed that nickel keeps its database open. If it is of interest, I will of course post how this was confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT
I did try monitoring the calibre SysInternals ProcMon and validated that there we're no files open on the Touch before the eject was done
Thanks for the trouble PeterT, but I fear you misunderstood my claim. On the Linux side the FS is unmounted properly, without any open files. What I found is that the (or apparently my) Kobo firmware does not release the database when the usb connection is established.

Again: This problem appears to be an isolated case of my KT behaving different from all of its kin. I have found a workaround. I am also writing a little python launcher to automate the steps described in the workaround before starting calibre.

If noone else is able to reproduce the problem, I would simply close the case and consider my KT very special
ichrispa is offline   Reply With Quote