View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #28
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
How about saying "built-in or onboard storage" and SD card storage. You are absolutely correct about RAM not being onboard storage. I used the wrong term. My bad.
A lot of our embedded controllers stored their configuration in RAM chips that had built-in lithium batteries. But some needed replacing after 10 years or so in some machine tools. So even RAM is often used for long term non-volatile storage. MMC (and other flash memory) chips are a lot higher capacity and cheaper (and surface mount), so it is more popular these days. I recently had to get a free sample battery-backed RAM chip to replace the one in my thermal camera, so I do not have to reconfigure it every time I turn on the power. There is no clear boundary between memory and storage, but in general usage, memory is a subset of storage. "Onboard" is not a clear distinction either, because the SoC (system on chip) used in the kindles contains both volatile and nonvolatile memory storage (RAM/ROM and programmable permanent storage). SD card storage is a clear distinction though (up to a point). Even onboard chips can use the same communications protocol as an SD card, so from a programmer's perspective it is the same thing. MMC memory storage is available in both onboard chips and in removable SD-card format. Before SSDs (solid state drives) became affordable, external high-speed backup storage could be purchased that contained a large quantity of battery-backed RAM chips.

All I am saying is that it is not safe to make an absolute statement that there is any clear distinction between memory/storage or onboard/external. They are just different implementations of the same thing (with the exception that storage can also contain physical objects that do not represent information).

EDIT: Okay, fine. Be happy with your absolute belief in absolute definitions, despite a ton of technical literature that uses these words in very non-absolute and conflicting ways, and a lot of real hardware that also crosses any artificial boundaries you have defined.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-10-2012 at 12:27 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote