View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #250
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
"If you don't care that the metadata internal to the format doesn't get updated. "

For me - if I have internal metadata once, I have it forever. What's there to update?
I'm under the impression that various format wrappers carry various internal metadata fields, such as title, author or document creator, etc. TXT has none, converting to PDF in past did only title and author (that may have been changed in an update by now), EPUB has more fields. Copy To Library doesn't update those internal fields. Convert, Save, and Send all do update those fields, but don't update them in the original format, only in the new copy made in Convert, Save, or Send. <-- as I understand it, and I may have one or two bad assumptions in that. This is different than converting with the option to add metadata to a new page inserted in the format.

Edit: I distinguish between the metadata in the OPFs, which get auto-updated shortly after anything is changed in booklist or Edit Metadata then later used in Restore command, the metadata in the metadata.db that is reflected in unrestricted booklist and Edit Metadata form, the metadata in internal format fields, and the metadata page that can be inserted during conversion.

Edit2: All of those metadata places get updated in different processes at different timing.

Last edited by unboggling; 09-18-2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Add Edit: paragraphs