View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #107
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Avast is completely free, unless one upgrades. Updates will run automatically. The notification that the updates have been installed can be shut off.
Thanks for the tip. I googled this and see how to do it. The Avast sound effects are already turned off on my wife's Win7 box, but I'm now going to try turning off the rest. I'd told her I would switch her to Microsoft Security Essentials, but this is certainly easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Do I believe a global anti-virus software company that's been gathering statistics based on millions of users, or one person's anecdotal opinion?

Tricky decision...
Actually, yes.*

And it not like anti-virus is harmless. It slows down your PC. Strange conflicts occur, perhaps because it is scanning a file you want to use. And, on rare occasion, there's a problem on installation. On less rare occasion, you want to change anti-virus vendors, but there are problems removing it from your computer. If the chances of getting a virus by relying on the protection provided with the OS were say, ten percent, I'd go with the vendor anti-virus. But if the real-life chances are, say, one percent, which sounds on the high side for Apple, I'd say anti-virus is more trouble than it is worth.

Thank goodness these anti-virus folks haven't gotten their fingers into our eReaders.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 11-24-2012 at 09:35 PM.