View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matriarch View Post
* How do the collection / shelving capabilities of the T2 and Touch compare with each other, and how do they compare with the Kindle 4?
The Touch's shelving is rudimentary, at best. It's awkward to use as you have to go into your library to manually add books to the shelves one at a time (rather than, as would be sensible, to create/open the shelf and then single-click your way through your library to add them. It does not recognize calibre categories to automatically shelf imported books, as would also be sensible).

Quote:
* How responsive are the page turns, really, with extended use? I've tried out both devices in-store and found that there were a lot of dead touches with the Kobo, but that may have been because they're heavily-used demo units.
The Touch doesn't have a very responsive screen, even under the best of circumstances. Mine's only a bit over a year old (bought new May '11) and it has trouble at times recognizing taps and swipes - and even when new it was a major pain to highlight more than single words. Coming from a Kindle, you *WILL* miss physical page turn buttons. Even on a touchscreen ereader, it is quite inexcusable for there to be no page turn buttons (and for the physical home button to be removed on the new Kobo Glo & Mini :/).

Quote:
* Do I absolutely have to install Kobo Desktop / ADE onto my desktop to use each device, keeping in mind that the devices are for side-loading public domain books only? I'd prefer to work exclusively with calibre.
You'll most likely need the desktop software installed and used at least once, if you get a Touch, but not if you get a Glo or Mini. ADE's only needed if you want to grab books from a public library or if you download from a store (including Kobo's store, if you manually download the epub versions rather than their own kepubs).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote