View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
iPatty
Zealot
iPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle2 KFHD 7, Galaxy 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jduck View Post
I don't think it needs to be linux (I have been using linux in a virtualbox virtual machine because for some reason I couldn't get adb working on win7 on my laptop, although it works on my win7 desktop), but you do need to have a working adb setup (which you should if you already rooted).

First of all, what I had done on a rooted Fire in preparation for my 'preserve root' attempt:

adb shell (you can also use the 'terminal' app if you have it)
$ su (skip this if you already have a # prompt)
# mkdir /data/mydir
# cat /system/xbin/su > /data/mydir/su
# echo "service.root.amazon.allow=1" > /data/local.prop

It is also helpful to stash busybox in /data/mydir if you have it, since it will give you helpful unix commands to work with.

Now, post-update, to get su back into place:

adb root
adb remount
adb shell

If you still have adb root access at this point you will have a # prompt. If you have a $ prompt the rest will not work. The /data/local.prop trick above seems to have preserved adb root access for me in both 6.3 and 6.3.1 updates.

# cat /data/mydir/su > /system/xbin/su
(you could alternately use the 'adb push' command with appropriate args to copy su from your pc if you did not save a copy).
# chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
# cat /system/bin/check_rooted > /system/bin/check_rooted.bak
# cat > /system/bin/check_rooted
(hit ctrl-c now to abort and leave behind a 0-byte file)
# chmod 755 /system/bin/check_rooted

now reboot in order to remount /system read-only.
I can tell that I should never attempt this. GL and Rotating Wallpaper will have to do it for me.
iPatty is offline   Reply With Quote