Thread: Smashwords Help
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #14
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
My book is "free to share" because I am using the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivativeWorks License. It is "not actually free" on Smashwords, Amazon, B&N, etc. because it has a list price there of $2.99 as a tipping option. Not everyone can use Paypal, so this method provides the most options to my readers.

You can still sell your work under a Creative Commons license, if that's where the confusion lies.
I've seen Paypal interfaces that do not require signon, they simply provide the creditcard service for the seller (most recently on one of the writing software sites I was looking at, I think). The "tipping option" sounds much like the donation system on some software I've seen ... except that, from what you say, Smashwords don't currently support such a mechanism.

Yes you can still sell your work, but to quote that link you provided: "However, all Creative Commons licenses allow others to distribute your work under Creative Commons for free (and possibly for payment.)" As long as you are aware of that, then it's obviously your choice. From what I've seen on these forums you are not alone in wanting to distribute your ebook in this manner, perhaps some sort of group approach to Smashwords would see them take seriously the idea of this third method of distribution.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote