View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 01:35 AM   #2
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackj4ck View Post
Hi

I'm new to the forum. I'm thinking of getting a Sony PRS-T1. But I'm worried about getting contents for the reader. Is possible to buy ebooks from sony reader store in Singapore? Do I need US credit card or US mailing address or US ip address?

After reading some forum postings it seems that it is possible to buy from amazon and convert to epub for reading on sony reader. Is that right?

Thank you all.
You don't need to buy ebooks from a Sony reader store. I don't know if Sony has such a store in Singapore, but I do know it does not have such a store at the moment in England, yet I am able to buy books from other stores and read them on my T1.

A benefit (the only benefit?) of a Sony reader store is that you can buy directly on the device.

I buy from stores like informit.com, oreilly.com (technical ebooks without DRM) and waterstones.co.uk, kobobooks.com (ebooks with Adobe DRM) on my Mac, and then transfer the books to my T1 using the Sony Reader desktop software provided with the T1. Others use the calibre software instead.

Using stores is much easier in a desktop browser than on an e-ink screen. You will also end up with a copy of all your ebooks on your Mac/PC in case your T1 breaks or gets lost.

Converting from Kindle formats to epub (for the T1 or any other reader) is possible using tools like calibre. I haven't found a need to do this, because there aren't any ebooks I want in Kindle format that aren't in epub format already. Kindle book prices are similar to epubs too. Google for "apprentice alf" if you want to learn more about DRM.

In summary - get a T1 and don't worry there isn't a local Sony reader store
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote