View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #177
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyzazz View Post
Hi Difflugia, if the offer still stands, I would like to try rooting my Kobo Vox and perhaps increase it's storage capacity at the same time. What would I need to have ready in advance? Is there a particular SD card (size /speed) that you would recommend, and what programs would I need to have downloaded onto my PC (The only Apple product I have is an I pad4, but I have a Vista pc with an SD card reader, a pc running on XP, and a new laptop with Windows 8, if there is a sytem of choice.
Thanks, Rob.
If you're willing to open your Vox (which you'd need to do to increase internal storage), then rooting's pretty easy.

I recommend a Class 4 SanDisk SD Card of whatever size you want (anything up to 32GB should work). Faster cards (class 6, class 10) seem to run slower in the Vox, at least with some brands.

The rooting is easier if you have Linux at your disposal. Part of the rooting process involves changing file permissions, so without Linux, you'd need a Windows program that will let you mount a Linux partition and modify the file properties. I'm sure they exist, but I've never used one. Booting to Linux from a Knoppix live CD won't hurt your PC and is probably easier than finding Windows tools to do everything.

The instructions here should allow you to create a rooted SD Card. If anything there starts giving you problems (or you're having trouble getting that far), feel free to ask. Some of the commands can wipe your hard drive if you aren't careful, but it isn't hard to be careful.

These result will still act like an 8GB card even if it's bigger, but that can be fixed. I'll just need to get my Vox out and figure out which partition to change.

Edit: I just reread the instructions and realized that the backup portion won't work with a live CD and I didn't flesh out how to do the initial copy of the card. I'll try to come up with some instructions that are easy to follow.

Last edited by Difflugia; 12-18-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote