View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 04:44 AM   #4
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I don't know how many will agree with me but I don't think that this is really a love story at all; instead, it's a rather dark portrait of selfish destructive sexual obsession. Consider the following points {I've put them in spoilers for those who haven't finished the book}

Spoiler:
1. Ariza, in effect, stalks a teen-age girl.
2. He has a number of odd relationships--some of which seem to be motivated by something close to love but he never seems able to make a commitment.
3. {IMO} He has a moral responsibility for América Vicuña's suicide and betrays his position as a guardian.
4. Fermina Daza really seems to have worked out a satisfactory relationship with Juvenal Urbino, who despite his narrowness does a great deal of good for the community. He also makes one of the most significant statements about the nature of marriage and love:

"Always remember that the most important thing in a good marriage is not happiness but stability."

5. While Fermina does not, at first, understand this view, she changes in the end when she realises that it " . . . was the lodestone that had given them so many happy hours."
6. It's interesting that the book begins with a suicide and has another near the end and both have links {albeit of quite different types} to a love relationship.

So I feel the significance of the title is that love is itself a disease--as seems to be made clear at the end.

What do some of the rest of you think?

Last edited by fantasyfan; 06-01-2012 at 04:54 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote