View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by book64 View Post
Sad to hear that
Was hoping Kobo was different to Kindle as couldnt find anything about it on google But plenty on kindle

Some of the ebooks are nearly as expensive as the actual book!
Am fuming
May have to look for more seconhand paperbooks when I have read the many ebooks I have
It is ridiculous indeed. And understandable that you are fuming. It's a long term discussion though. The DRM is to try and prevent piracy... of course it's much easier to share a digital book with many people (over the internet for example). And when you do share, you don't give up your copy like you would do with a paper book: you keep your copy, and another copy is made for the person who'll be 'borrowing' the book from you. DRM is meant to prevent this sort of viral sharing.

But DRM isn't sophisticated enough. I think it should have a built in "lending out" option, where you temporarily give up your reading rights and transfer them to a friend, like the library does when you borrow a digital book from them. But alas, the DRM is locked. Which in my eyes only invites piracy instead of preventing it.

And yes, I agree with you, if you don't get full rights, the ebook should be cheaper than the paper book. That would diminish piracy, as it'll be easier to just buy a book to read instead of downloading it illegally from somewhere as it's cheap anyway
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote