Thread: Eco Reader Help
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 05:12 AM   #13
iq6000
Enthusiast
iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: ECO Reader, iPhone
Just wanted to say thanks everyone for your help.
I bought my ECO Reader and realised it needed a firmware update.
I was sent the link to the update and, well, I sort of followed the instructions - except that I only had a 2GB SD card and the instructions said use a 1GB or less card to install the update.
Decided to give it a go - it wouldn't do any harm, right?
Well I couldn't get it to start the upload process - just a blank screen.
"Oh well", I thought "I am sure I have a smaller SD card somewhere in the house (it is in my daughter's camera - but who knows where the camera is?) - I will worry about it later. " My husband was trying to hurry me up so I would go to work with him (on MY day off work), so I packed the reader and left the house. When I got to his workshop I opened the reader - but the book I was reading wasn't there. No big deal - it is on the computer at home, I will just read something else. There were only a few books on the reader though, instead of about 100. "That's OK - I will fix it when I get home."
Yeah - 6 hours later. I attempted the update again with the 2GB card. I wanted to make sure I had otherwise followed the instructions exactly.
Success! Firmware updated! Despite the 2GB card.
But the books! Somehow the reader's drive was reporting 56GB of files, which were corrupted and couldn't be opened, deleted or renamed. The files were dated from 1/1/1604 to May 2047.
56 gigabytes - pretty impressive for an ECO Reader!! I was impressed, anyway....
I tried a few things but no luck. I knew I could get rid of the corrupt files by formatting, but I have always seen that as a bit of a risky procedure - so easy to get wrong!!
So I logged on to this forum, did a bit of searching and reading and found the confidence to go ahead with the format.
It worked perfectly - I formatted the drive and was then able to copy all my books back. And because I was starting from scratch I could easily reorganise the whole file setup with new folders and sub folders and all the books are now in categories.
I love categories!
So now I have an up to date reader, all my books organised - now I just need to make time to read more!!!

Thanks,
Angela
iq6000 is offline   Reply With Quote