View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #6
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange! View Post
This confuses me because I thought authors couldn't self-publish their books until the rights to the book reverted to the author from the original publisher. My understanding is apparently flawed.
Could this be a case of having different publishers in different regions?

I can see a possibility where in one region (e.g. UK/NZ/Australia market) the publisher has the (global but not exclusive) ebook rights, while in another region (US/Canada market, for example) the rights have reverted to the author (or the publisher for that area never had the ebook rights to begin with).

I don't quite know how common it is for readers in specific English-language markets, but I know European readers in many cases - officially and legally - can see and buy both the US-published and the UK-published ebooks for books where both the US and UK publisher apparently have global ebook rights.

Same book, different publishers, different editions, different prices. And I could easily see a similar scenario here, just with the author self-publishing the ebook instead of having a different publisher for it in one of the markets.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote