View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by i, Podius View Post
The fact that it doesn't remember your place in the book, for instance, is a big one.
You are mistaken on that point - it automatically remembers your place in every book that you read.

Quote:
And I'm unclear on how its bookmarking works, other than the fact that Register Hardware found it to be a bit of a hassle.
I certainly don't find it to be a hassle - one is hardly likely to want to set a menu on that many pages, after all! To set a bookmark, one presses the button to display the menu, then selects "Bookmarks...", "Add Bookmark".

Quote:
1. Does the CyBook now remember where you were up to if you close the book?
It always has done!

Quote:
2. Has the sorting/filtering of books been improved? Is there support for folders yet?
One can sort books on a number of different criterea. Folder support has been promised for the next firmware update, due in "early 2009".

Quote:
3. Do books display page numbers now? Is page-number based navigation possible?
Page numbers aren't displayed, because the CyBook (unlike the Sony) allows you to load any font you wish, and view any book in any font, at any of 12 sizes. What you get is a progress bar which is - IMHO - a lot more useful. You CAN go to a page number if you wish, but there's really very little point in doing so. Page number is rather an irrelevent concept in eBooks.

Quote:
4. Does it display the battery level while you are reading a book?
No, but the battery life is so long that that is entirely irrelevent. Reading intensively for a week will probably half drain the battery.

Quote:
I guess what I'm wondering is; given that it costs an extra $150, and if it still has what seem to be some fundamental issues, is native MobiPocket support and a warranty (which in my experience, are rarely of much use - with the exception of iPods) really worth it?
[/quote]

No, but the other benefits of it, IMHO, are, including:

- The ability to load any TrueType or OpenType font you wish onto the machine.
- 12 font sizes, compared to 3 on the Sony.
- Proper support for font families - ie "real" bold and italic fonts, compared to synthesised ones on the Sony.
- Dictionary lookup (which personally I find to be HUGELY useful).
- A user-replaceable battery.

I used to own a Sony, but have absolutely no regrets at all about changing to a CyBook. For me personally, it's a much better machine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote