View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Kindle vs Cybook, please help the noob

Hello experts! I am new to the world of e-readers, but I want one so badly that I've become obsessive, and since I'm driving myself crazy I thought I'd ask for help.

First of all let it be mentioned that I'm Canadian, so I'm not interested in fancy shmancy wireless Kindle features. That being said, I'm 99% sure I can purchase a Kindle if I so choose (I have some US buddies who can help me out).

Anyways, I plan to read mostly fiction, and will probably put my e-reader through a lot of abuse since it will be rolling around in my purse with a nintendo DS, watercolor set, and several sketchbooks pretty much every day.

I don't really care about cost (these devices suit me so perfectly that I'd be willing to pay $1000) and so my main concerns are content availability and readability.

I was originally settled on the Cybook, after comparing it with Sony over the last couple days. I just started considering the Kindle today after realizing that it may still be a viable option even without all its features, and I figured it couldn't help to ask for advice since the Kindle and Cybook aren't often compared toe to toe.

It's also worth mentioning that I'm fairly tech saavy and went to university for Computer Science, so I'm not worried about any tricky conversions. I am concerned about the quality of product that results from any conversions though, and I don't want to waste too much time on converting when I could be reading!

The only real advantages I can see to Kindle right now (in my situation) are the search and lookup tools. If the Kindle and Cybook are basically equal in every other respect though, those advantages will probably be enough to win me over.

Wow...this is getting really long. Maybe I'll sum this up for everyone who skipped my babble...

Things I'm interested in comparing:

1. Screen quality (contrast, refresh rate, etc)
2. Usability and durability (interface, buttons, ergonomics, etc)
3. Added features, and how good they are
4. Content availability-fiction (including hassle and quality)
5. Anything else you can think of (seriously, I want to hear everything)

I realize that all of this info is technically available through sources other than this thread, but I would really like some personal opinions on the matter since I'm sure many of you ebook lovers will think of things I haven't.

I've really enjoyed lurking in this community for the last couple days btw. It's rare to see such a nice group of people communicating intelligently on forums, and it's helpful to boot

Last edited by binzer; 03-03-2008 at 11:44 PM. Reason: badd at tipng
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote