Thread: JBPatch
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #292
Titano
Definitely not King Kong
Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You can get the kernels with the "getkernels.sh" script. It works with the /dev/mmcblk0 device, or with an image of the first 32MB of the device (you can use dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/mnt/us/dev/mmcblk0.img bs=4K count=8" to get that image (which also contains uboot images so it good to have).

Also, I like to modify my dd commands a bit to make them run faster (mmc writes are slower than reads). Here is a typical command I use (as I recall):

dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K|tar czvf mmcblk0p1.tar.gz -

This is why my images tend to be in tar.gz files, BTW.
Maybe someone should make a script to do this. (I think something interactive like the [crappy] one I wrote, to bad dd does not have a verbose mode.... ) That way when someone with a 5.1.1 kindle is willing to do it they just have run it and upload the files. (We could even make a gui launcher for it so they don't need to use xterm or the like.) I would do it (following what you guys have said.) but I think it would turn out really bad. (I only know what I have learned first hand.) What do you guys think? Also maybe we should open up a new thread because this is getting a little .
Titano is offline   Reply With Quote