View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #168
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Example use of -evl option

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianner View Post
I'm attaching one of the files as you requested. If there's something that the originator of the file can fix, let me know and I'll provide feedback. Thanks for taking a look at this. - Dianne
Dianne--This is a tough document--lots of specialized formatting, varying column widths, and pretty densely packed text. I'm not sure you'll be satisfied with the result, but with the options below I thought k2pdfopt did an admirable job of formatting it for a smaller screen. Pages 10 and 11 got a bit butchered, but otherwise it separated the columns pretty well. I attached the kindle-optimized output and the one that shows how k2pdfopt flowed the pages. The options I used are:

k2pdfopt -evl 2 -col 4 -ch 0.65 -cg .08 -sm web2012-09.pdf

The -evl 2 option (interactive menu option "e") is the critical one--it erases vertical lines that divide the columns in your document, and this allows k2pdfopt to find the gaps between the columns. This is a new feature in k2pdfopt v1.50, and you gave me a perfect example to test it on. The -col 4 tells k2pdfopt to find up to 4 columns. The -ch 0.65 option (interactive menu under "co") sets the minimum height a region has to be in order to allow separation into different columns. The -cg .08 option (again under "co" in the interactive menu) sets the minimum gap between regions to 0.08 inches in order to consider them separate columns. And -sm shows how k2 flows the document in the web2012-09_marked.pdf file.

To see how to set these options as the default (or set up a custom shortcut that will use them), see "customizing k2pdfopt" on my help pages.

In general, if you want k2pdfopt to be able to follow the flow of the document correctly, it helps to have the columns well separated from each other, uniform in width, and with clear gaps separating distinct regions of the document. Getting rid of the vertical line separators would prevent having to use the -evl option. You can get an idea of what worked by looking at the "marked" file. Page 10 and 11, in particular, were too much for my algorithms, as you can tell.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf web2012-09_k2opt.pdf (3.53 MB, 431 views)
File Type: pdf web2012-09_marked.pdf (5.11 MB, 468 views)

Last edited by willus; 09-19-2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Added -cg .08 to options.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote