View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #11
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Well, they still do make printed books. If I must permanently own a book, that's normally where I go, Baen and Smashwords being among the exceptions....

Of course I don't report to amazon everytime I "don't buy" a book. But maybe everytime I buy a physical book, stating why I chose the physical book despite owning an e-reader? .... there are many ways to vote with ones dollar while still obtaining the materials they wish.

For me, the only place DRM belongs is in library books, because the whole point is that I don't own them and am just accessing the materials for a limited time and then poof, they're gone. But I feel fully entitled that whatever I buy should be 100% mine in every respect after I have received the receipt.

It's insulting to buy a book and still "walk home" with the message that it's not really mine to keep. So what if DRM "can be stripped". Why should it be my responsibility to google some Apprentice named Alf while people put coughcough marks around it in whispered hushed tones, after I have bought and own the freaking thing.

There should be no "assembly required". It is after all, a freaking text file. I could understand video games and stuff, but really, a piece of text that I should be able to read...? I should be able to read it, no questions asked, no "but how do I get this to work on MY device?" no, "I bought this book, and excitedly downloaded it on calibre but it won't work?". (or stuff that doesnt' even download to calibre and stays affixed to the website to read on Chrome)

DRM is utter crap and does not belong on material that a person owns.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote