View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #345
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
From what little I know looks like a linux box (Onyx) thus it should run the program without "crashing", or should I say is capable of running the program..

You do not say the EXACT type of onyx book so I could only guess at the processor. either a 800MHz Cortex A8 CPU or a Freescale i.MX508 800MHz or a Marvell 166e 800MHz, two of which I know something about.

They are all 4 bit displays (I Think), But how you would manage the screen updates I do not know. That part of it you would have to figure out for yourself, probably a small piece of code but it would need looking at.

So yeah... The project could be rebuilt from source if required to target your processor if required but honestly I would just try to run the current release and then tag on the bit of screen update code yourself.

A fully worked example might be referenced from
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=326

With an EXAMPLEsupplemental eink update implementation like this one
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=328
I say example because - miracles withstanding - that WON'T work, you need to find that piece of code for yourself....

Also there is a whole pile of things that could go wrong. Framebuffers of slightly different sizes causing garbled screen output (one type of onyx book is 1200px x 825px for example, the others are 800x600), and probably 100 other things that could be very slightly "wrong" or "different enough" to make it just not work without a few coding amenments.

All that said...

a) Find out what code you need to send to cause a full eink refresh.
b) check if the current code RUNS on your machine without needing to be rebuilt
c) Run it and see what output you get.

Honest answer is I HAVE NO IDEA if that might work.

But at least you have a few tips to try.

I would guess - if you have the "right" book - with same/supported processor - same resolution - and the update code - that it should work

Hey, it might even work on ALL of them with enough love. But honestly without the device, this is complete speculation.

HAVE FUN!!!
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote