View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #22
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Just a blow by blow for those intimidated by the language barrier

he un-installs a program that will conflict with minicom using apt-get. you may not have to do that I dont know.

he installs minicom using apt-get. apt-get install cu minicom

This installs two packages cu and minicom

(Thanks Geekmaster)

he sets the permissions (well changes the owner actually) chown uucp /dev/ttyUSB0

then he goes to root permission by elevating the current shell
sudo su

runs minicom

minicom -s

chooses the 3rd option down (you can see the choices)
he is just showing you the settings there.

So copy them AS IS and shove them in yours.
lock file location(if your system is relatively similar to his),
port /dev/ttyUSB0,
115200 speed
and NO for that last two...

okay so then he connects the usb cable and boots and GETS AN OUTPUT via his serial cable in minicom

He pushes Enter to interupt the boot sequence.

chooses 3. LOAD MMC0 over USB storage

puts in the PW fiona

Plugs in his usb.

runs dmesg to get info

goes sudu su in the minicom connection (mount and unmount must need elevated permission on his system is all)

umount /dev/sdb1 - this must be the kindle mount point (that you could find in the dmesg logs hence him running dmesg previously to show you this)

mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1 splatter data for a new filesystem to that location.

the dd command is dd if=/location/of/folder/mmcblk0p1.dmp of=/dev/sdb1

Press r on the kindle 3 and you are golden. (It says)

I have added this just for clarification. please ensure you check the settings, if I made a mistake then let me know and I will update it.

Thanks

Last edited by twobob; 09-07-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: it was wrong
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote