View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanner View Post
I was told, iriver has to open it to fix it.
It would be very interesting to know what they do once opened. Then maybe people could do it at home (esp. after warranty runs out).

There are JTAG test points, but they're awfully small (<1mm) and close together. Can't imagine someone actually soldering these for a repair job, as it seems fiddly even for someone with soldering experience.

According to the manual of the reference board there is a boot mode that allows booting from SD card, and the Story HD has two boot mode points on the back, maybe that's a possibility, although I'm not sure what to do with them - short them, ground them, or what. Someone over at OpenInkpot is trying to find a serial interface but as far as I can tell that's even more complicated to get to.

The Wifi model listens on several ports (ftp, telnet, login, shell, ...) but that's no good either as Wifi comes up only after the device actually booted and you go browsing in the store or checking for updates. And it wouldn't help the Basic users either way. (Also the reader just drops those connections, not sure if useful for anything.)

If anyone knows more please post
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote