Thread: Seriousness US Health Care Plan
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #22
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
I'm not American, and I don't pretend to have a full understanding of the health bill, but fwiw, it's always seemed a bit of a no-brainer to have government involvement in health care. Quite apart from the moral duty of concern for the welfare of your fellow citizen, there's the pragmatic consideration that a healthy population is likely to be more economically active, and in the last resort, able to provide more fit recruits to the armed services.

(Also means I can read posts informing me of the $500-odd cost for a couple of immunisations and risk the follow-on cardiac arrest knowing I'll be treated on the NHS )

I'm also concerned by the danger that if health care is left entirely to private enterprise, then unprofitable conditions or treatments may be neglected. The dearth of research in (for example) new drugs for TB and malaria may provide an example here.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote