View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
So, now that my eyes are bleeding from all the reading up I've been doing, I have one question that I haven't see addressed wrt the 5" EZReader. How many books - on average - can I load into the reader's internal memory and how many - on average - can fit on a 1GB SD card?

Thanks!
Lisa
Welcome! I am sure you've made some people (Robertb) very, very happy with your purchase and the reasons behind it! Now I just hope my preordered slate blue one arrives soon so I can say I had mine before you get yours!

[EDIT: Robertb responded before I could even finish my post!]

Your question can only be answered very approximately because "average" is not very likely to be a useful concept to describe how you, personally, will use the storage space. You have to factor in the actual book length, the format, and whether or not the file includes images. (I have epub files with images included that take 2+ mb compared to 600 kb or so w/o them.) I also have some slim books of poetry with no illustrations that take under 100 kb.

As a very rough guide, though, you can safely assume that 1 gb will hold several hundred long or > 1000 "typical" novels quite comfortably.

To work through a real-world example -- a "typical" sci-fi novel (1633, by Eric Flint and David Weber)takes up wildly different amounts of space depending on the format you prefer to use.

Paper length -- according to Amazon (don't have my printed copy handy), it's a 688 page paperback. Beyond a few simple line-art maps, it has no particular illustrations.

According to my Baen downloaded file sizes on my particular PC, this book takes:

732 kb in RB
856 kb in LIT
940 kb in PRC
954 kb in epub
3,506 kb in RTF

Last edited by Morlac; 09-11-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote