View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #47
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
If the current discussion thread doesn't grab you please post something that does and let's see where the conversation goes.
Giving myself perhaps over free rein to run with this I would like to expand on a previous comment I made. I am treating the chapters devoted to Pontius Pilate as almost a separate work with in the book. To me these were the best written chapters and can pretty much stand alone. I speak of my comment regarding Pilate representing Stalin/The Soviet State.

In Chapter 2 where Pilate first meets Yeshua he enjoys speaking to him, in fact admires him, and is loath to condemn him. Only when Yeshua reveals that in speaking to Judas, who has been charged with entrapping Yeshua into speaking treason, that he [Yeshua] has questioned the authority and legitimacy of the state does Pilate condemn him to death. It is in this chapter that we are first introduced to the shadowy figure “a certain man” who will appear later.

In Chapter 16 when Yeshua is executed this same mysterious “man in the hood” is described who sits near the execution posts on a stool watching throughout the execution. The Roman officers consult first with this man before spearing Yeshua through the heart.

In Chapter 25 this identity of this “certain man” is revealed, he is the head of the secret security police (NKVD?) for Pilate in Yershalaim. Pilate asks if any signs of rebelliousness were seen at the execution and if the man personally established the death of Yeshua. Pilate then instructs this man to be sure to bury Yeshua in secrecy to assure that all memory of him is erased. Pilate then goes on to say that he has information that Judas will be murdered and asks him to see that Judas is protected. In the next Chapter, after Judas is murdered, Pilate reveals in his conversation with Levi that Pilate himself arranged to have Judas killed. Further erasing any loose ends?

To me this all ties into the suggestions of others that Pilate takes on the part of Faust.

So that's my attempt to contribute something. I must say that I still don't understand the significance or purpose of the characters Berlioz or Homeless at all in the first part.

I am really enjoying following all of this discussion I must say.