View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 06:15 AM   #21
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Good idea but I would not add the one before the dash. I don't think a dash at the start of a line looks very good. And if you use spaces around the dash then I would make the first one a nonbreaking space to avoid the chance that the mdash or ndash will start a line.
Code:

Dale
Hmm I think you can argue it both ways. Grammatically, if you have a perenthesis then it makes more sense to have the dash with the words that are in the parenthesis - even if that means starting a line with a dash . If the dash is introducing a subordinate clause then if makes sense to have the dash with the main clause. The problem is that unless you have way too much time on your hands then you can't go through an entire book making these decisions so it's probably best, for better or worse, to simply leave it to chance. Using the two zero width non-joiners also avoids the risk of the software hyphenating the word and having a part word followed by a dash on the next line.

And the non-breaking space will show as a space. So its's better to use either a zero width joiner or nothing at all.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote