View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #37
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Sorry, folks, but I agree with the sentiments expressed by LDBoblo and HaggisMacJedi.

You all sound like a bunch of experienced gamers who trash the new players for wanting to learn the game.

Fortunately, some of you have come thru with cooler heads. But I'm surprised some of you are the same people who make this forum such a welcome place for people trying to learn about ereading.

I've seen posts in this forum (from "some of us") asking the same questions, or lamenting that ereaders don't yet have many of the very features you are condemning unknowledgeable people for asking about. No one treats THEM like they just fell off a vegetable truck.

I sort of realize this was intended as a humorous thread, but I fail to see the humor.

At all.

There's no such thing as a stupid question -- only a learning opportunity. I thot that was what this forum was all about.

------------------------ 2nd edit, in the morning light

After rereading the thread, I find that my biggest reaction is to the characterization of the people asking the questions as being "stupid". I don't believe asking uninformed questions makes the person stupid.

There is a difference between stupidity and ignorance. Stupidity is a derogatory term for the inability to learn. Ignorance is a state which can be overcome thru education. (Even those who refuse to learn are not stupid, just holding tightly to their euphoric ignorance)

Yes, many of the questions are humorous in the light of our knowledge, but I would hope that the (mostly demeaning) answers were not the ones actually given.
Well here is my take on it after dealing with a lot of ignorant vs stupid people working in IT.

1. Stupid question is a question that can be answered by the originator if they just spend 3 seconds thinking about it.

There fore it is easy to identify it, if it looks like the question will fill the gaps in the knowledge of the issuer it's from ignorance. If the question just hangs in the middle and violates all common sense laws like "do you have to download books", then it's bona fide stupid remark and you can laugh and make fun of the person. Seriously I would've answered "no you have to retype them in" and walked away fast.
Thank you for that list.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote