View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Considering nook, Sony, or Kindle for gift to a senior

Hi everyone. My family is trying to decide on a reader for my father-in-law, who is in his 80s and not very quick with technology anymore. (He's a retired electrical engineer, and loves new technology. But mastering it is another matter.)

Ease of use is critically important. While I love my PDA and my Sony 700, he needs something a lot simpler to use. Wireless function would probably be good, so that he can easily buy books and add them without needing to connect to the computer.

Nook and Sony are kind of at the top of my list right now, because there are stores nearby where I can go see those. I also like the epub support, though he wouldn't care. But portability to another device is always a good feature. (I can't remember--does the nook use the ADE DRM for the epub files? Also, if you buy a book wirelessly on the nook, is it difficult to back the book up onto a computer?)

The color cover display on the nook is something I think he might like.

Any thoughts, experiences? The nook is the one device I haven't heard anyone give much feedback on.

Thanks.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote