View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman134 View Post
ive been looking at the long list of kindle 3/keyboard hacks while looking for hacks for my kindle touch, and there are a lot of nice features that i would love to have but arent supported. ive seen the kindle touch hacks wiki but nearly all of them are low level stuff (usbnet, wpa support, extend) and arent much use to a semi smart nerd who just wants to be able to have less tethering to his pc. in short i want to know if someone could port over a few mods (ill try and exclude ones already ported.)
im unsure how hard it would be to do the ports as the archetecture is part java part html, but any help or directions to a thread where the ports are would be greatly apreciated.
I'm afraid you'll have to try it out for yourself. I'm pretty confident that many, if not all, plain "applications" (Kindlets!) will work without problems.

Everything else is a question of trial and error. In principle, the binaries are compatible (i.e., the same "strace" binary can run on the K3, K4, KT, and even on my wireless router and mobile phone). But as soon as it becomes "Kindle-specific", the systems vastly differ internally. Some things may work, others won't because the KT is organized differently than the other models.

As said, get your hands dirty and try it. There is a reason why there are comparatively few hacks for the KT at the moment, and why many are low-level: the device is still new, and devs obviously focus on the most important aspects first. "Important" is highly subjective of course. Remember that this is all spare-time fun hacking, so everyone is tackling what they find most interesting or useful. (for instance, I for myself have no interest in epub support because I'm perfectly fine with calibre conversion, or for screen rotation because I don't use it -- so I'm rarely chiming in on these topics).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote