View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
celtica96
Zealot
celtica96 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, SmartQ 5 & 7, Mirus CT9W7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation.A.List View Post
Would I buy a Ferrari instead of a Ford ? If I had the money yes. It's nearly twice the price, but probably better quality parts & manufacturing. We know it has an ARM cpu and runs WinCE, but will it be as modifiable as the Q7? Time will tell..................
but by then there will be another one along and the same question will be asked ......... ad infinitum
As you can tell from my device list, I have a weakness for this type of handheld and may wind up purchasing a JournE for an extended test drive.

The Smart Devices Q7 already runs Android, Linux, & WinCE and the Toshiba JournE Touch seems likely to add Android & Linux.

A key difference between the two is video (both the onscreen display and the HDMI out) but otherwise their hardware capabilities seem pretty similar. One report indicated that the Toshiba uses a 800x480 display like the Q7 but would output video via the optional HDMI at a much higher resolution.

Is video worth the extra $160 plus the unknown cost of the dock?

I found that transcoding video for the N800 was easy but takes time. (I have a very large collection of laserdiscs that I moved over to digital format to preserve them.) I would prefer a device that could play video without the transcoding step. Being able to connect to an HDTV would be a big plus. Maybe it will become kind of a portable Apple TV.

An extra $160 is a lot to spend on a device that's about as capable as the Q7 (excluding video) but more details will be forthcoming from Toshiba so I'll wait and see....
celtica96 is offline   Reply With Quote