View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #28
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
IMHO, no. Legally, by removing the DRM or converting the format you are creating a "derived work" (ie one derived from the original, but different to it), and to do that requires the permission of the copyright holder.
That could be argued both ways. If I have a paper book, do I need the permission of the copyright holder to make one partial set of photocopies of the book? Do I need the permission of the copyright holder to take a thick book, divide it into two or more parts and carry only part of the book with me?

The answer to both of these questions is no.

Now, if I can do that with a paper book I purchased, why can't I do it with an ebook I purchased? What is the difference between the paper copy and the electronic copy?

The only difference I can tell is the so called "license". I really want to know if the license concept is actual law, or something that the general public was conned into accepting.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote