View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #28
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
llcj - That is not the case in all areas and as I said, we only have the older Kindle models. The staples near me does not carry the Sony. The Future Shop or Best Buy we went to only had Kobo & Sony's locked up in a cage. They didn't even carry the Kindle. This was back in October.

The Staples, Best Buy & Future Shop Canada's websites don't even list the Kindles. I know The Source (formerly Radio Shack) carries Kindles including the older keyboard ones. Nobody I've found has the new ones. Not even the non-touch black Kindle.

I know for a fact that stores essentially rent space to different manufacturers and when they don't pay, they don't get much shelf space. Certainly not a prime spot that's for sure. I frequent Sephora and have gotten friendly with the staff. Even the makeup companies pay for space in the store. It's at a premium. While websites have unlimited space, physical stores do not and can't carry every line nor every product from those lines. Pay for play. No pay, no display.

And Staples isn't exactly the first store that comes to mind when thinking to buy electronics. While they do carry stuff like that, they're known as an office supplies place.
Having worked for many years at the Buying offices of a major department store, I can tell you that while cosmetics companies definitely have agreements about their space allocation, that is not the case for most other products. Space is generally allocated based on the sales per square foot or the potential for higher sales and products that are less in demand have less space allocated to them. Also, a store that does not display or replenish received goods is a poorly run one or one that doesn't have enough payroll allocated to taking out purchased inventory. That's just a poor business practice.
I realize that you have a negative bias against Kobo products but the fact still remains that it is the number 1 ereader in Canada and it's not just because Sony products are left in the "cage" at the store you frequent.
Sony ereaders are excellent products but not all buyers are looking for the same features in their ereader and Kobo does cater to certain customers' wants extremely well. Also, contrary to what you assert not every Kobo user has problems with his device .
The OP was interested in details about the Mini which is a 5" reader at a great sale price. This thread has really gone off topic... I for one would like to hear more from other Mini owners of their experience with the device since their opinions will be based on practical experience, not hearsay.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote