View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
How to create folders for your Kindle.

IMPORTANT: I ran into 2 problems with this:
1. Some files showed up, others didn't. No idea why.
2. After changing the booktype back to book (2), the disappeared files still didn't show. I had to recreate my Kindle directory. No idea why the files stopped showing up in the Kindle.

Suggestions:
1. Back up everything before doing this.
2. Treat this as experimental.

I'm leaving this here in case someone wants to tinker with it. I'm moving on.

===please check that you have the most updated line in step 4==

Changing the extension of .azw, .prc, or .mobi doesn't do anything to the file. It's the same thing. Same restrictions still in place - DRMs azws are still DRMd and unDRMd mobis are still DRM free.

You will need mobi2mobi.exe. Google helps

This is only tested on files without DRM (i.e. public domain books in PRC or MOBI format, as those found at feedbooks.com).

Thank you to the folks over at https://www.mobileread.com for all their help in putting this together.

When you do this, all files will now have the .mobi extension. .prc files don't show up anymore when you do this to them, so they have to be renamed to mobi (part of the one line below, no extra step). The file itself is left unchanged. The line below takes care of azw, prc, and mobi at the same time.

Process:

1. Make a folder inside the Kindle's documents folder and put in there all the books you want in that folder.

2. Put mobi2mobi.exe in that folder.

3. Create a text file but name it renamer.cmd.

4. Write this in the text/cmd file:

for %%a in (*.azw, *.prc, *.mobi) do mobi2mobi.exe "%%a" --booktype "257" --title "Folder Name" --author "%%~na" --outfile "%%~na.mobi"

5. Double click renamer.cmd to run it, wait a while depending on # of books.

Result:

When you go to your Kindle, you will a book entry called Folder Name and clicking on it will bring you to a listing of your files to the right of the Kindle. The file names will become the titles shown on the Kindle (minus the file extensions).

Upcoming:
- Are nestled folders possible?

This is what it will look like:

Kindle Home screen:

Categorized by title:

Catcher In The Rye
Feedbooks Folder
Romeo and Juliet
Something else Folder

Once you go into the Something else Folder:

Something else A Book <-- Author is "A Book"
Something else B Book <-- Title is "Something else"
Something else C Book
Something else D Book

Last edited by GatorDeb; 10-24-2008 at 06:40 PM.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote