View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger1972 View Post
Hi folks,

I have only recently (this week in fact) been given a Kindle 4 NT and would like to try developing a kindlet to run on it. I have been reading as many posts as I can find on the wiki, and followed the steps for jailbreaking and accessing the root via PuTTY. So far so good.

There's a few things I'm not clear on which I'd appreciate some help with. I'm a software developer by trade, but haven't used unix in 20 odd years, never used PuTTY and I'm new to the Kindle, so can somebody fill in the gaps for me?

1. Does I need to put my Kindle into Diagnostics mode every time I want to access it using PuTTY?
2. How do I copy my kindlet from my PC to the correct location on the Kindle? Do I just copy it to a directory I can access on the Kindle via USB and then copy it to another location using PuTTY?
3. Should I be able to run the "Hello World" kindlet on my Kindle 4 NT (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...php?t=102386)? I have built the program on my PC, but through PuTTY the only directories I can see on the Kindle under /opt are eink, ar6k and factory. There is no amazon directory as per the steps detailed here.
4. The final step in the post above states "Copy signed jar into Kindle". Where do I copy it to?

Any advice appreciated,

Ger
You can add SSH to the main partition by starting diags SSH, then mount the main partition and copy the /usr/local folder across. This is described in more detail in some threads here, and perhaps in the K4 hacking wiki. You can get there from Master Index sticky, K4, then find the K4 hacking wiki link...

To run your own kindlets, you need to install the combined developer keys. Look in the kindlets wiki index.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote