View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #33
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearindex View Post
While this may not be the perfect solution for the "do not disturb partner in bed" situation, but just to note that the flash bulb effect is not inherent to e-ink, but to lighted e-ink.

On a regular e-ink reader such as the $69 Kindle with integrated lighted cover, the screen going black doesn't cause the light level to fluctuate as much because the light is external, not in the screen.

I almost always read in the dark on my $69 Kindle (with official lighted cover) and use always-on refresh.
I read on my PW in bed with my hubby sleeping next to me. It is more unobtrusive then a book light or lighted cover which I heard nothing but complaints from him about. If it seems like a flash bulb going off you have the light set too high. I just use the cover flap to keep the light off him if he is directly facing me but we have finally solved our light/sleep problem by using the PW. No more grumbles.

I was worried about the refresh being flashy like a camera but it isn't. At least mine isn't.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote