View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
One of my old lecturers said that all you have to do to write an essay is remember three words: CQC. He said, at a fundamental level, all essays are built upon the CQC foundation.

1. Make a CLAIM

2. Back-up claim with a QUOTE

3. Now COMMENT on the above QUOTE

4. Repeat until conclusion.

Don't know if that helps, but when I was involved in academia the CQC principal got me through a lot of otherwise boring essays.
This is great advice... and rather more immediately pertinent than my own rambling.

I would just add that people who are not used to writing essays can sometimes get this stuff right, but leave the various parts of the essay feeling a bit too detached from their surroundings.

After everything is written down, 2-3 more minutes spent on tweaking section/paragraph beginnings and ends to maintain reasonable flow can make a big difference in how professional the essay ends up feeling.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote