Thread: Samsung Note 8
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 06:25 AM   #113
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
I ran across the new brown/black color for the N5110 the other night. I made a command decision, soon as my pearl white version gets here tomorrow it is going back because I ordered the brown-black.

I've never been a fan of white devices, especially those with a wider bezel. First thing I've done with my Kindles is to buy a black TPU/silicone case to hid that bright white around the page.

I will say the white on the N8 isn't awful it was simply a pill I was willing to swallow. However now I don't have to. So again I am waiting...oh, and I did not get the same great price I did on the white one. But I did get the Samsung book case as a bundle. From what I've seen in photos that Samsung case is very thin and seems to enhance the look of the device, a bit s-Pen-dy though...har-har-funny, I made a pun??

I also lucked into a Skinomi clear skin on Amazon for just $0.99 + $2.99 shipping.
ht http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That price I see is now higher and they are almost sold out. I've run across this before on Amazon. A company has a new product they want to sell quickly in hopes of getting a lot of new positive reviews after which they raise the price to normal. I once got a great portable battery backup for $20 that now is over $100 under the same idea. I think it's a bit more democratic as well as less controversial than the Amazon Vine program....oops I digress...but watch for those deals when shopping the site. They are rare but if you see one, especially when sold by the actual manufacturer of the product, grab it, worst case you return it but in the mean time it can cost a ton less.

I've used their skins on devices before, my Asus Transformer Infinity for example, and they do a nice job of protecting the surface of the device. In the case of my TF Infinity it has a brushed aluminum body. That aluminum will scratch if you look at it sharply while it's resting on pillows. But I went nuts and bought two of their wood grain skins for the Transformer , the light and the dark. I then mixed light & dark parts and the effect is a ctually pretty classy. But cripes those skins cost me over $50, I know but I was weak and splurged. It does impress my boss and the kids at Starbucks though so it was worth it??

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But for that $4 the clear skin will be a great deal compared to the price of the patterned and colored skins. Plus it will add the level of class akin to the clear vinyl covers some put on the furniture in their living room in decades gone by. And we all know just how classy that look is.

Oh, I did learn something if you are looking for a different or back-up s-pen. There is apparently an offset if you are using a Wacom pen bought separately. That on-screen offset ranges from just a teeny bit to several mm or bit more with no way to calibrate the device. But what I learned Wacom makes two versions of their Bamboo Feel pen. The one we want for the Note 8 (N5100 or N5110) is the one that comes in a BLUE box. I did not order an extra pen yet as I want to make sure my initial feel for the N8 remains after real world use. I can see it may be likely I get one for times when I might be penning longer entries. The downside of the extra pen is it does not slide into the device's hide-e-hole so odds of me losing that $50 pen are in favor of the house. Why is it we never lose the inexpensive or cheap pens? Law of nature I suppose???

http://www.wacom.eu/index2.asp?pid=9221&spid=5&lang=en
http://bamboostylus.wacom.com/compatibility/

OT, I could have really, REALLY used the N8 today. I was buried at work and have notes splattered all over my office. Can't wait to corral that entropy. Soon it will be relocated out of sight onto my N8. Heck, people might actually stop teasing me about my office clutter, errr, I mean, system...I really use a lot of quicky notes as the day progresses. My boss likes all the notes though and now he might wonder if I've gone R.O.A.D rather than trying to become more mobile, efficient, sleek, streamlined & obviously sexy appearance.

OK, I rambled, long past few days with little sleep just had to check into this thread. Love all the tips for sure. I just have to wait until Monday for the new darker Note 8 to be delivered. Maybe UPS will goof up and deliver it quickly for a change. Our local UPS service is, interesting is a good description. They are very, very, ahem, interesting around here.

Last edited by rkw; 07-09-2013 at 06:41 AM.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote