View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 12:54 AM   #33
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
But good encryption such as AES is designed so that you CANNOT generate keys quickly. To search the 10-character (constrained) key space would require generating encryption keys (such as 128-bit AES which is a much larger keyspace) using a slow crypto hash function at a rate far less than 1,000,000 key pairs per second.

The real question is, does kindle ebook DRM use a good (slow) secure hash function for its key generation?
Hmm.. u sure? My 3 years old laptop can generate about 1.5M SHA-256 hashes per second...

Edit: I may have missed the point. I don't know how many decryption "attempts" are feasible per second, that could well be much less.

Edit2: some further reading: http://security.stackexchange.com/qu...mized-cray-xe6

Last edited by ixtab; 08-23-2012 at 01:01 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote